We are now living in a digital age. Almost every household in America owns at least one personal computer and a cell phone. We google, facebook, tweet, text message, email and read our news on the internet. What does this mean for the next generation? It means that our children will model that same behavior. Just look at the tweens and teens. Their lives are literally immersed in electronic data. Young children coming up through the ranks will also begin to learn how to use this same digital media. The good news is, if used properly, electronic data can be used effectively. There are many good ebooks available on the internet to promote reading at an early age. Here are five reasons why ebooks are a good reading resource for your young child.
Buy Children’s eBooks at Amazom
1. Ebooks are interactive. Reading an ebook allows you the opportunity to teach your child how to use a keyboard and become familiar with the workings of the computer. We all know they love to push buttons!
2. Bright colors and pictures on the computer screen promotes learning. It holds their interest longer than a traditional book. Children can easily identify colors, shapes and everyday items which promote language, reading and writing skills later on. Plus, they are normally cheaper than a traditional book.
3. Familiarizing young children with digital technology will give them a head start before entering school. Most schools and preschools now have computers in the classroom. Some literacy experts are pushing for federal tests known as the nation’s report card to include a digital reading component.(1)
4. Ebooks are indestructible. They last for decades and can be passed down from generation to generation. They do not tatter, fade, or tear! This type of digital media can be transported easily on your laptop or ebook reader to be read anywhere and anytime. Ebooks are also eco-friendly. No tree was ever cut down for an ebook!
5. Reading to children at an early age will also benefit them into their adult years. Many studies have concluded that reading at an early age and into school age years result in better grades and leads to higher education. Experts also say that drop-out rates decrease and online reading skills will help job seekers fare better when looking for digital-age jobs.
Although there are good reasons for reading ebooks to your children, it should be noted that having a variety of reading materials available will ensure your young child will develop a love for reading. Start reading to them at an early age and model good reading habits yourself. Most importantly, take the time to read to your child and don’t overlook the benefit of using ebooks.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR